Tuesday, January 14, 2014

DIY Personalized Cutting Board

Today I'm showing you some personalized gifts we made for Christmas.

Yes, I know Christmas is over...
but hey, there are only 345 days left till NEXT Christmas!

The idea for the spoons came from Amy @ The Idea Room...
she shows you just how to do it. :)
I'm gonna share how we did the cutting board.
It's simple and super inexpensive.


The only reason I didn't post this before...
well, we didn't exchange gifts with these friends until New Year's Eve
and I was afraid she would see it before I got to give it to her!

I found the cutting board at TJ Maxx or HomeGoods.
I wanted bamboo so it would be durable...
this one is pretty big and cost about $12.
Can't beat that.


I used a Silhouette to cut out the monogram from vinyl.
It didn't want to stick to the bamboo.
Boo hoo bamboo.

I got it to stick just enough to use a pencil to trace the outline...
and that's really all I needed.


Once I had the outline, we used this ancient wood-burning
tool that belonged to my mother in law.

Not sayin' my MIL is old or anything...but...
the paper inserts that came with it told of how there was a metal shortage
due to WWII so if you needed the heating element replaced,
you first had to send back the one you had.

Crazy, right?

Anyway...I used a sharp point first to do the outline...then filled in.
Sometimes...I just did whatever. :)


We also used the wood-burning tool on the spoons
instead of the sharpie Amy used in her instructions.
To keep it consistent and not have to worry about it coming off.


I lightly oiled the board, but it probably wasn't necessary.


I think they turned out gorgeous!


My friend cried and said she didn't want to use them.
I told her to use the back side.


My sister said I needed to make her one.


I guess they were a hit!
I need to pick up some more spoons.



I think this would be an awesome wedding gift.
Or an anniversary gift.
Or a housewarming gift.
Or an "I think you're great and I wanted to play with wood-burning tools" gift...


Speaking of my mother in law...
we made a couple of spoons for her and her husband, too...
aren't they cute?


Anyway...back to my rambling...
You could even do this with something other than a monogram...
I'm thinking "Kelly's Kitchen"...
but I guess that would only work if your name is Kelly.
Otherwise it might just be weird.



Hope you're having a great week!
I have a couple Valentine goodies coming up...
and I'm finally going to tell you about that "secret project" I was working on!
I know...you just can't wait!


Sharing here:

The Turquoise Home
Savvy Southern Style
Live Laugh Rowe
Lamberts Lately
From My Front Porch to Yours
Saving 4 Six
Put A Bird On It
Living Well Spending Less
 Embracing Change
Jennifer Rizzo
Craft Dictator
Crafts a la Mode
Whipperberry
AKA Design
Reasons to Skip the Housework
Remodelaholic
Redoux Interiors
Common Ground
Lil' Luna
Horrific Knits
Cheerios and Lattes
Serenity You
Six Sisters Stuff
Will Cook for Smiles
It All Started With Paint
I Should Be Mopping The Floor
A Peek Into My Paradise
Life On Lakeshore Drive
Averie Lane
Dwellings
The Dedicated House
Plaid and Paisley Kitchen
A Stroll Thru Life
Love Grows Wild
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Home Stories A to Z
Cedar Hill Farmhouse
Upcycled Treasures
My Craftily Ever After
Accidentally Wonderful
Love Bakes Good Cakes
Love of Family and Home
Home Coming
What's Cooking Love?
Sincerely, Paula
Bloom Designs
Pneumatic Addict
Glitter Glue and Paint

57 comments:

  1. You did a terrific job with that old wood-branding tool. I love how the board and spoons turned out....lovely..oh my yes, I want. I will have to let hubs do the wood burning as I tend to be a bit clumsy (giggle)...thank goodness he is aware of that fact. Happy New Year and I am looking forward to your Valentine Day surprise....I adore Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grab 16,000 woodworking plans here (Open Now)

      I just got this and love it, you've got to have a look..

      Get access to 16,000 woodworking plans >> ==> All the woodworking tools you will need

      You can get instant access to over *16,000* woodworking projects in the next 5 minutes or less..

      You got to check out Ted's video now: Step -by-step instructions how to start your project

      TedsWoodworking has over 16,000 woodworking plans with STEP-BY- STEP instructions, photos and diagrams to make every project laughably easy...

      Click here to take a look at his plans ===> The necessary materials for that particular project

      Secure your place before it's too late.

      Note: $79 Savings For 72 Hours Only

      Ted is running a time limited "launch discount" and the complete package of plans is 50% off the regular price

      Grab your discount while it lasts... The necessary materials for that particular project

      Don't miss out on this - 72 hours only!

      Have a great day and talk soon.
      Ana

      P.S: Ted's collection of plans are some of the best I've seen. If you're a woodworker, you really don't want miss out on this great deal. 16,000 woodworking plans inside...(2 days left)



      Delete
  2. That is a really, really awesome gift. I had an old wood burning tool at one time but it was blunter and not very good with fine work at all. You did a wonderful job!!!! I hope you get MY name next year in the Christmas exchange....lol xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUCH a cool idea!!! I need to do this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this looks fantastic! Nice job!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these! I think I may need to go buy myself a wood burning tool now! :) Thank you for sharing, found your blog via Living Well Spending Less, link party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely, I have never thought a wood burning tool was ever going to be on my "I'd like one day" list but it may get added after seeing this. The ideas for wedding/new home gifts are pretty endless. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so fantastic and I feel the need to go buy a wood burning kit now. :) I would love it if you would link up to our party at http://www.mycraftilyeverafter.com/2014/01/14/awesome-things-tuesday-9/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, beautiful! I definitely want to give that a try! I found you on Thrifty Thursday and I'm so glad, thanks for sharing this:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE these!! I thought you had stained the cutting board at first. I want a wood burning kit now! Did you use it to do the spoons too? I must have these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! You're making me want to buy a wood burning tool! I love personalized gifts and am just getting around to posting the tutorials too so I wouldn't run surprises. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stylish and beautiful gift. Visiting from It All Started With Paint link party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of your friends and family are going to want these! Better start stockpiling bamboo boards and spoons! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute idea. You must have a steady hand!
    Funny about the age of the wood burning kit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How beautiful!!! You did an AWESOME job with these, they look absolutely gorgeous! I love personalized gifts, and these would make such great gifts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these I just don't own a wood burning tool.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful... This gift looks so cool... Just like my last pictures with frames brought from Soho

    ReplyDelete
  17. This blog is so cute that i can't resist reading it even in my job timing :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, what a sweet gift and the monogram turned out gorgeous! I would love it if you linked this project up to The Makers, http://upcycledtreasures.com/2014/01/the-makers-link-party-1/

    Have a great week!
    ~Katie @ Upcycled Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great gift idea, i love personalized gifts! Thanks for sharing at The Weekend Retreat, hope to see you back on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kelly, I love this!! Thank you for sharing at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again next Monday at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this! I also want a wood burning tool from 1941!! So Cool! Thanks for sharing on Show Me Your Plaid Monday's!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this! I'd love it if you'd share this at my link party, going on now! http://accidentallywonderful.blogspot.com/2014/01/accidentally-wonderful-wednesday-2_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are gorgeous! They were featured at Link'n Blogs. The party goes lives at 10pm MST, so stop by to see your feature and please link up again.
    http://iputabirdonit.blogspot.com/2014/01/linkn-blogs-9-link-party.html

    xo
    Daniela
    Put A Bird On It

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE this idea! My sister is getting married this spring, and this would be a perfect gift for her!
    Thank you for linking up to our lovely ladies link party last week, I wanted to let you know I've featured your project at the party this week! You can check it out here if you'd like- http://www.justalittlecreativity.com/2014/01/lovely-ladies-linky-party-19-with.html
    Thanks again!
    -Molly

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great job! I love this idea. I have 3 weddings to go to this year and this is a perfect gift!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful gift, I love how these turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a fantastic idea! I've been wanting to try this technique. Thank you so much for linking up at The Makers!
    Corey @ TinySidekick.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Kelly, these are beautiful! What a great gift idea; love it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Kelly, you are one of the features today at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to this week's party! http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2014/01/make-it-pretty-monday-week-86.html Hope to see your prettiness again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful! We used to have a burning tool years ago. Love the stencil technique with it:) Pinning and sharing

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this! I'm wanting to copycat and just bought myself a wood burning tool :) I was wondering, which tip{s} did you use for this project?

    ReplyDelete
  32. I just saw this! I love how this whole gift turned out! Now I must make a personalized cutting board too. Yours is fantastic! Thank you so much for linking back!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh, wow! That looks incredible! Honestly, you could start a business if you wanted to spend long portions of your day using a wood burning too. I'm trying this out!

    Jenn | http://bamboocuttingboardandmore.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful idea! Thanks for sharing at Project Pin it! I pinned the to the Project Pin it board on Pinterest.

    xoxo
    Denyse

    ReplyDelete
  35. Those are gorgeous! I'll have to keep this idea in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What font did you use for the monogram?

    ReplyDelete
  37. With over 10 years of experience in the physical world spreading joy and happiness with beautiful gifts to cheer up a loved one, Giftamillion is ready to step in e-world with our online venture giftamillion.com. Giftamillion is just the place to stop at when you need to buy gifts in United States. Here are many options for gift for example christmas gifts for dad, unique christmas gifts, good christmas gifts, cheap christmas gifts, personalized gifts, christmas gifts for teens, gift cards, christmas presents, silver picture frames, hand painted glasses, scented candles, candle jar and best fragrances .

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for the information and links you shared this is so should be a useful and quite informative!
    meat wrap

    ReplyDelete
  39. Can you remember what font it was you used? I love the C.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is really a very unique and very innovative gift idea you have shared here. Thank you so much for your wonderful share.ikat fabric

    ReplyDelete

  41. Wow thank you this is just what I have been looking for - great work :-) plz chek my blog

    unique gifts dubai & personalized gifts dubai & gift items suppliers in dubai



    ReplyDelete
  42. I like them so much! So cool! Woooow ! I have just one question, can you use exactly that surface for cutting food? (I mean burned side, sorry for my incomplete English :( ) and spoons? I think this method is not dangerous for health yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  43. Nice blog. Thanks for sharing useful information.
    unique gifts Malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  44. Nice blog. Thanks for sharing useful information.
    Gift Malaysia

    ReplyDelete


  45. خدمات نقل الاثاث متعددة لدينا حيث يوجد لدينا خبرة في كيفية التعامل مع العملاء في تنفيذ اعمال فلدينا مدينة مكة افضل شركة نقل اثاث بمكة التي تتميز بالدقة في تنفيذ اعمال وتوصيل الاثاث من الباب لاننا نمتلك عمال متميزون في شركة نقل عفش بمكة فعليكم التواصل معنا من اجل الاستفادة من الخدمات التي نقدمها كل هذا ايضا تلاقه في مدينة الدمام من خلال التواصل مع شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام التي تمتلك فنين متميزين في اعمال الفك والتركيب كما لديها اسطول سيارات مجهز يساعدها علي الوصول الي منزلك الجديد فكل شئ يكون جاهز مع شركة نقل عفش بالدمام التي اثبتت انها نقل شركة لديها خبرة كبيرة في مجال نقل الاثاث
    كما يوجد لدينا خبرة في خدمات نقل الاثاث بجدة من خلال
    شركة نقل اثاث بجدة
    شركة نقل عفش بجدة

    ReplyDelete
  46. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Nice blog. Thanks for sharing useful information.
    customized gift

    ReplyDelete
  48. Great blog impressive. Thanks for sharing useful information keep update information.
    coaster art

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments make me a happy girl!
I love and read each and every one!
I do my best to respond to all of them...even though it may take a while...questions I try to answer right away.